Wednesday, July 13, 2005

ok i take that back

i know why i like the breakfast club. it's a really good movie.

duh.

it was on tonight, and my plans with a friend got cancelled, so i let myself watch it as a consolation prize. trouble is, i never feel right watching movies...to me, just sitting there, staring at the screen for two hours, feels like two hours of your life that you will never get back. you can argue the merits and demerits of movies till the cows come home, but whatever. i can't watch a movie if i'm not doing something else at the same time. so i ransacked the basement and found some poster paints, then ransacked some more and found a watercolor brush, and then i, whose greatest artistic achievement is in the area of margin doodles, proceeded to paint.

a commercial.

damn andy warhol! two days ago all i knew was the campbell soup thing and now slowly he has infiltrated my pathetic painting attempts.

well that's how the stolen night went down. see you tomorrow, if i manage to wake up at a decent hour.

3 Comments:

Blogger Pope Lizbet said...

My sister-in-law and I get together periodically to watch movies and make art, because we are similarly incapable of simply watching a movie.

I can't draw, but I can still make art; I do collage, and simple woodcuts, and do decorative-motif type painting and sometimes make simple jewelry. I sew. It's vital to me and I'd go crazy without it.

My Design School Homie, who has always been an Artist (when we were a year older than you are now, we spent the Sunday before every test at our favorite coffee shop, cross-referencing her anime-style sketches with my details on what we were supposed to be able to ID in each picture), has often told me that you don't have to be an artist to make art, by which she means that technical skill is not what makes art good. It helps, but the important thing is to be able to see in your mind the new thing the world has never seen and then try your best to make it in reality. That's what technical skill helps you do better, but it doesn't mean that you should stop making art with your mind and trying to make it a reality. Art is words, too, but sometimes it's important to get out the paint and scissors and glue and just do it for the sheer sake of it. It's good to know you didn't wait as long as I did to figure out how important it is to do that very thing.

3:07 AM  
Blogger fudge said...

it was really good to hear this--it's something i've been thinking about a lot lately, and i wasn't sure...because it seems like the desire to create something beautiful should be enough, but if you aren't talented, you get the short end of the stick -- like being mute. you can't express what you're thinking of...or if you try, other people don't think it's worthwhile.
i like what your friend's artist mantra though, and i think i shall adopt it.
your collage-making/sewing and the movies sound truly cool...it sounds like you really understand where i'm coming from and i appreciate it.

8:25 PM  
Blogger fudge said...

btw- last night after i read your post, i busted out the paint again (;

8:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home