Sunday, September 03, 2006

the Wall, the Mascot, the Attack of the Pigeons- in Color!

alright folkies, i have finally learned how to use my digital camera. i bring you photo proof that i have indeed made it a week plus in new york: the sequel.

but first things first. let me introduce my mascot, hangneck sally.


this is a doll some no doubt well-intentioned friend purchased for me a couple years ago. the general idea was that she was supposed to look like me (curly hair, get it?) and i was supposed to hang her from my window. i'm still not really sure what this was supposed to accomplish. perhaps it was to make up for the fact that i never, not once, owned a cabbage patch doll.

anyway, the unfortunate truth about my little look-alike is that when you tie her little string around your window, her neck unfortunately tilts at a ninety degree angle, which gives her an atmosphere of what i can only call "cheerful voodoism." 'hello!' she beams at you as you wake up in the morning. 'don't even think about hanging yourself today!'

this is my wall. you will note hangneck sally at the top left corner. anyway, i have finally finished hanging everything up, i think. some of the highlights:

-29 levels of compatability. this is the poster closest to my pillow. it is actually a product of my sadly misguided art attempts. one night during high school i couldn't sleep at night, so i stayed up very late watching sappy 80s movies ('the breakfast club'). all of the commercials went something like: 'tired of dating? had all you can take from well-meaning friends? why not try meeting your one true love over the internet? we have online surveys designed to match you to your mate on 29 levels of compatability!' i couldn't think of anything else to paint, so i painted the advertisement. another reason for me to stick to writing.

-purple piece of construction paper with stick figure on it. this is a picture yonina drew of me last year. i know because she wrote her name in big block letters on the back. the exchange went something like this: 'perel, i made you a picture of you for your wall.' 'thank you, yonina! it looks just like me!' 'yeah, whatever. make sure you show all your friends. i wrote my name on the back so they'll know who drew it.'

-the Mona Lisa. i cut it out of my art book. figured i might as well get my money's worth.

-'abba, you're my only friend!' newspaper clipping. true story. found it in an advertisement in an old magazine.

-'perel, morphein just dosn't cut it. you need cocaine.' actual signed statement composed for me by a friend of mine who had jaw surgery a few weeks ago and now communicates solely through the written word.

i would show you the pigeon picture as well, but it's not loading correctly. oh well. i guess for now you are all spared my supper being torn apart by menacing crowds of shameless birds.

5 Comments:

Blogger PsychoToddler said...

So you haven't figured out how to rotate your pictures 90 degrees yet, have you.

8:33 PM  
Blogger outofAMMO said...

They should prescribe those dolls at phyciatrist offices.

5:40 AM  
Blogger Chaikers said...

I think the message the doll is sending is not "don't hang urself today", but either "you look like u should" or "you will end up like this". All in all, it doesn't send the happiest vibes. You should sit it on top of something and not have it hanging; it's morbid.

10:56 AM  
Blogger outofAMMO said...

dont you get it?! She WANTS it to hang!

3:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We all have our hang-ups. :)

In case I forgot to mention this the last time I posted a comment, welcome back to the Big Apple.

10:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home