Sunday, July 24, 2005

fish are friends!

we went to the mpm today

(quick! does it stand for

-maury's pasta motel

-milwaukee public museum)

yup, the museum, but i like to keep people on their toes.

anyway, they had this really...blue exhibit about whales and aquamarine life. you know that thing museums always do when they want to promote oceannity, where they project these flickering blue lights over you, and then in the background they have this loop of waves crashing and bird or whale songs? and then sometimes they have this blown up balloon of said marine life, like a giant, friendly looking whale? it was like that. maybe it is kind of cheap, but it got me thinking.

you know i must have done like 60,000,000 reports about the humpback whale in grade school...it is practically a part of me. (like the sioux native americans). i'm not sure exactly how this happened, but i do know that the humpback whale is like the length of ten school buses or something. and that its gestation period is eleven months. also it eats krill and migrates from arctic waters to florida in the winter. (don't say it, richard).

do all kids find themselves writing the same reports over and over? other recurring topics:

-eleanor roosevelt/ betsy ross/ clara barton

-native americans

-ponce de leon/ ferdinand magellan/ cristopher columbus

-elizabeth cady stanton/ carrie nation/ susan b. anthony

(this got so bad the other day that i was playing jeapordy with my friends, and when asked the question 'she used to smash in bars during the early prohibition', the clear answer in my head was, 'the one that's not elizabeth cady stanton'.)

10 Comments:

Blogger PsychoToddler said...

I thought the exhibit was pretty lame. But I did like the "wheel of fish fortune".

6:28 AM  
Blogger Steg (dos iz nit der šteg) said...

Have you ever been to the Museum of Natural History in New York? They have a hyooge model of a blue whale just hanging life-size from the ceiling. And a (actual? replica?) Northwest Native American super-canoe. And lots of dinosaurs. Can't forget the dinosaurs.

I like the word "oceannity", btw ;-) .

7:48 AM  
Blogger fudge said...

thank you. me too. that is why i invented it.

actually i think i remember the whale...but not the dinosaurs. in fact, if it weren't for that little claymation piece at the mpm, i'd know precious little about dinosaurs. i've never had to do a report on them before.

10:24 AM  
Blogger PsychoToddler said...

How can you say you know "precious little" about dinosaurs? After I've tried your entire life to inculcate a love of those mighty beasts!

What about "The Land Before Time" and "Dinosaur!" and the "Jurassic Park" trilogy?

Anyway, the Dinosaurs in NY are bones. Here in Milwaukee, we have historically incorrect dioramas.

11:54 AM  
Blogger fudge said...

hmmm. perhaps, but i learned more about people than i did about dinosaurs from the land before time. ie, it takes all sorts to make our world...short and tall sorts, large and small sorts. also the term 'tree stars.'

as for jurassic park and dinosaur, those were the movies you and kovi watched while me and mommy watched football in the kitchen and ate popcorn. except for dinosaur, of which i have no memory.

4:23 PM  
Blogger Shira Salamone said...

Ah, the "Whale Room,"--I remember it well, steg. (I think the official name of the room is the Hall of Marine Mammals, but I wouldn't swear to it.) I remember New York's Museum of Natural History best as one of the best places in the city to take a restless kid on a rainy day.

I once knew a guy who'd been tackled on three sides of the same knee. He woke up with a plastic kneecap. When I met him in college some three or four years later, he was still in pain. I've hated football ever since. It has one thing in common with boxing--you're *supposed* to knock the other guy down. That's just a bit too violent and dangerous for my personal taste.

Speaking of reports, Fudge, it appears that your generation is probably learning more about Native Americans, and a *lot* more about women in history, than my generation did.

10:05 PM  
Blogger Safranit said...

I like the rattlesnake tail that you can shake....if you know where the button is located!

8:31 PM  
Blogger Pope Lizbet said...

(raises hand) Carrie Nation! Carrie Nation!

Things I remember from high school and college along those same lines (I was an English major):

Keats' Ode on a Grecian Urn

the entire Romantic period, come to think of it

the Robert Frost poem that starts out "Good fences make good neighbors" (Mending Fence or something like that)

Songs of Innocence & Experience

King Lear and Hamlet

existentialism

the Harlem Renaissance

e.e. cummings

But I can't remember back to grade school specifically enough to recall if this has characterized my entire school experience, all the way back. I do remember multiple papers on Helen Keller, one in fourth grade and one in sixth. Now you've made me wonder. Thanks! :)

2:56 AM  
Blogger fudge said...

good G-d! your high school trumps mine by about fifty thousand points!
what i remember from high school can pretty much be summed up in two words:
the couch.
to be fair, we also learned some algebra and spent a heck of a lot of time talking about the federalists.
but literature-wise...i think we read the crucible...once.

8:14 AM  
Blogger Pope Lizbet said...

I included college, because it's far fresher in my mind. (My high school was pretty darn awesome though, and I got a brief intro to most of those things in A.P. English.

12:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home